Thursday, December 6, 2007

....and World Peace!

So, tis the Season for everything wonderful! I'm just sitting here wondering how happy I am for it to be December. This just made me want to share memories and people and happenin's I am all giddy over with all of you peoples out there. Heeeeeeeere Goeeeeees!

  • Mint m&ms!
  • Cinnamon-Apple-Clove-Wassail scents...especially candles
  • Mom's tree AND Dad's tree...Their greatest compromise ever!
  • Finding the spider, the Nativity, and the gold Scuttle on Dad's tree first thing when getting home.
  • New Tradition of finding the "fat-fat" cardinal on mom's tree.
  • Aunt "Bocky's" home-made candy.
  • Leslie Hadley's Chex Mix???
  • Utilizing Mistletoe! JK...never have actually!
  • FAMILY!!!
  • Having two weeks-ish off.
  • Not having to drive in slushy muddy snow.
  • After holiday sales.
  • Going to the Premium Outlet Mall for the sales.
  • Hating Mandy for finding cute Puma's for cheap and me finding nothing! Gotta love that tradition!!!--Oh and I don't hate you... I actually love you for bringing cute boys into this family....WHICH IS A GREAT tradition in its own! When is it my turn!!!!?
  • MR. AND MRS. CLAUS by the fire place...
  • Liza's dog/horse salt ornament!
  • Pinocchio, Tiny Tim and Cool Hat Lady in the Car ornaments
  • All the different Santa ornaments...from different time periods....DO WE EVEN REMEMBER WHO'S IS WHO'S?
  • Talk-Girl memories with Lydia and Chelsea!
  • Christmas in New York (twice!) Let's do that again sometime! ;)
  • Home Alone 1 and 2
  • Scrooged
  • While You Were Sleeping....I LOVE how this is not only loved by women but men too.
  • Dad falling asleep to ALLLL of these movies within the first 27 minutes.
  • Mom yelling at dad for wanting to watch some of the 24 Hours of "The Christmas Story" on TBS. haha AND Dad doing it simply for the pleasure of mom's reaction!...Every Year! I swear it never gets old! :)
  • Having the kids/grand-kids file out one by one by age into the family room to see what Santa brought....automatically having their arms crossed! lol...
  • Waiting to see what Grandma Christensen has in store for us all!
  • This is going to be the first Christmas without Grandpa Christensen so let's remember him in our hearts!
  • Am I ever going to be old enough to get one of those folders!!!?! I swear every year Grandma says I am never old enough to get one of those burghandy three ring binders.
  • Taylor and dad praising that they don't have to set up/take down those wooden characters in the front yard anymore! Woot!
  • Being in the outdoor presentation of the nativity. Dad was the innkeeper. Taylor was a...a...young shephard boy? (so much for my poor memory) and me almost being trampled by the three kings horses every night (on purpose) and going up to see the baby Jesus with Chalice Beagley (sp?).
  • MOM!!! No more fattening Bishop Oblad treats anymore! No more temptation for us all...
  • Waking up to Taylor (28) either jumping on my bed/air mattress, him going all crazy on my hair AND face with his hands, him singing some fancy Christmas song that the Oblad's ban every day of the year ALL IN ORDER to wake me up on Christmas Morn.
  • Playing Game Cube...any new games/systems this year?
  • Me winning the new games within 1-3 days.
  • QUICHE!!! QUICHE!!! QUICHE!!!
  • My new tradition of making the home-made onion dip!
  • Reading The Polar Express by myself on Christmas Eve...yes I'm a nerd...shhhhh!!!
  • Remember the dollar bills grandma taped together, or the 10 lbs. Chocolate bars for the boys, or her hand-made scarfs/hats/golf club socks, or her hand painted/penned golf balls, or the container of $20 worth of quarters!!! SHE ROCKS THE CASBAH!!!
  • Dad/"Jooooooohnny!"/"Riley Baker"/"Grampa John" reading Luke 2
  • The Texas Station Buffet on Christmas Eve! Woot!!!
...And the list goes on. I want to see what you think. Please add more to this and if you aren't a part of this family please share your wonderful/spiritual/crazy traditions you have in your family for the holiday season! Loves to you all at the end of another great year...

45 comments:

Alli Fantastico said...

Aw, I love this list. I hate that we don't live there anymore for this reason! So anyway, to add to the list:

Susan's house with the kids all in the basement playing noisily.

The semi-sad feeling after the family christmas party that there's a whole 365 days til next christmas.

Sesame Street Christmas with Jon-Jon.

ashleyO said...

YES!!! To all of that! I can't believe I forgot the Sesame Street Christmas! Oops! Oh and remember how the masks were stuck in the closet in the piano room?

Eliza said...

Grandpa Johns Holiday Drink (which begins with Thanksgiving and ends with the New Year)

You hope while I hurry (duh duh duh duh duh)
You pray while I plan (duh duh duh duh duh)
We'll do what's necessary cause
Even a miracle needs a hand

Opening a present on Christmas Eve and it amazingly always being pj's

The hand made stockings from mom (ashley did yours ever get finished?)

I'll keep thinking but I am leaving now to come and get you

ashleyO said...

Oranges at the bottom of the stockings!!!

ORANGE STICKS!!! Give em to me Alli! I know how much you hate them!

Mandy said...

oh i love this post!
so you just need to come shopping with me to find the deals!

-KJ said...

I just threw up in my mouth a little with the mention of orange sticks.
Uncle Rich's sarcastic remarks at EVERY family gathering.
Deseret Chorale Christmas Concerts (in days of yore)
Staying up and wrapping our OWN presents. Wha?

shauna said...

Great post!!! Good memory and memories. I am thinking of some that I can throw at you guys from a mother's point of view. Miss you!

Eliza said...

I too hate the orange sticks. I also hate Quiche.

Camp Beverly Hills clothes. (although that was maybe only a few Christmas's but I remember them oh so well)

Avon chapstick

Grandma Christensen's golf tournament winnings (Jewelry) gifts

Taylor said...

The best grandma gift was 1997. I was now an "adult"; I am just about there. That meant I got her funny gifts instead of money or clothing. She passed out a long cardboard tube to everyone. All of the "old fogeys" opened it up and what is it? A sausage from Peppridge Farms...but not any sausage. It was actually called "Yard o' Beef", and in actuallity it was a yard of beef. I had to yet open my cardboard tube so I open it to get by YOB, but nope...something else was inside. A $250 driver. Randy and Richard were T.O'd. I still think they hate me for that...I have seen it in their eyes.

Taylor said...

Oh, and depending on the year I like/hate orange sticks. Membuh those penguin ceramic stocking holders we used on the "entertainment center"? How 'bout the multiple setting blinking lights on the tree fully equpped with plastic "squeaking" remote. Can't forget "Santa Piles". Don't worry Ash I will be the first one up again...that makes 28 years in a row baby!!! More to come I should be studying; I have a final tomorrow.

shauna said...

BTW KJ...Brad Hafen was the featured soloist at Desert Chorale concert on last Monday night... 12/3. It was AMAZING!!!

ashleyO said...

Yes Mandy I should come with you! You seem to have more luck than anyone I know!

Liza I wondered if you hated them too. And I see that you do! And C.B.H. clothes? Oh wonderful! Avon chapstick...derr. I just mentioned that like a week ago to ya!

KJ- Desert Chorale!!! How could I forget? I miss that. I remember your brothers bringing their laser pointer to it and shining it on bald guys heads and people programs. It confused them so! Wrapping your own gifts....Wahhh? is right!

Taylor! I remember them being T.O'd about that one! And 1997? Adult? I'm freakin 23 and I got the quarters LAST YEAR! LOL not when i was a wee teenager! haha I just NOW used them this week to buy soap and cranberry juice. Squeaking remote!!! Ah yes. I had the kitty stocking hanger. And I'm suuuure you'll be up first again! I look forward to it hence why it made the list lol.

ashleyO said...

Oh and I'm not complaining about the quarters! I thought it was awesome and I still do...

the end.

Eliza said...

I want a bag of quarters! See what I miss when I am up here in Utah for Christmas! I guess it is worth staying up here so as to not have any children get sick and have to be hospitalized.

Eliza said...

man...kids ruin Christmas for adults ;) hahahahahahha!

-KJ said...

I knew you hated Quiche. Woman, you is crazay! We have since added a new breakfast tradition to our family. French toast with orange syrup. THE BEST!!!
Tay, I remember that. So funny!!! They were jealous!
Shauna, I AM JEALOUS. That Brad is amazing fo sho.
For me it was never quarters. It was just a "box o' change." I think I scored $76 that year!
Finally, how about Uncle Rich being the lead Roman soldier in the Charleston Street Chapel Live Nativity. He was perfect!

ashleyO said...

Liza just causes problems for us...no orange sticks, no quiche, no healthy children...jk!!! I wish you could come down for Christmas in Vegas!

I'm jealous about not getting to hear Bishop Brad sing! awwwwwww sad day! Oh and I miss seeing Susan's choir nod. And Uncle Rich as a Roman Soldier? Nothin' better than that!

Mandy said...

i hate quiche too and orange sticks im not so sure about. they sound disgusting! i wont try them

-KJ said...

I can smell those nasties in the box. Puke! What is it about the quiche? Do you like omlets? I can understand about the crust, maybe.

Taylor said...

I thought it was spelled keesh!?! "Anyway, you don't spell it you eat it," said grandpa to the foreign exchange student Long Duk Dong.

ashleyO said...

hahahaha yes!!! Good family memories Tay. jk but good line, gooder movie.

Eliza said...

uM, CHEESE, CREAM....NEED I SAY MORE! THE CRUST BACON AND EGGS ARE FINE. (i'M NOT MAD THE CAPS LOCK WAS ON AND I'M TOO LAZY TO TURN IT OFF

ashleyO said...

Wow!!! Loud! lol I love the quiche so more for me! There is always too much anyway, UNLESS mom and Susan drop one on the floor like last year! hahaha Remember how mom tried to catch it AS it was coming out of oven??? Crazy lady!

I think Randy was sad about that because it was one of Kathy's!

Oh and I just remembered another memory of mine...When I was in preschool Miss Lisa (McIntyre) asked us to bring our favorite ornament to our lil Christmas Party. Yay! I think I remember which one I brought but I dont think I do...

Alli Fantastico said...

orange sticks are of the devil. it says so in Alma.

shauna said...

WHO IN THE HECK WAS THAT AND WHAT CAN WE DO TO BLOCK THAT PERSON???

Alli Fantastico said...

It's just comment spam. About once a year it slips through, but Ashley can delete it. Spam-bots are inhuman and fairly harmles, albeit annoying.

shauna said...

O.K. I was getting weirded out by that one!!!!

ashleyO said...

lol no worries!!! Tis gone! and annoying.

Eliza said...

alli stop that

ashleyO said...

Ooooo Bulgarian is soooo romantic!

Alli Fantastico said...

too bad that wasn't me

shauna said...

Get rid of that anonymous fool too.
After your last experience, I don't want some goof ball writing on this thing....I wish that it had been Alli.

Lyd said...

Crap...I'll have to wait until Friday night to read all this!!! :( Stupid finals. Grrrr.

shauna said...

Good girl, Lydia~~~You are my hero (ine)

Eliza said...

i know

-KJ said...

Lydia is your heroin? Weird.

ashleyO said...

yeah my mom is addicted to her... its been really hard to make her quit the heroine.

Dani said...

*Sigh* Brad Hafen..... "In Lily's eeeeyes." (Sorry Ash, I couldn't resist! ;)

ashleyO said...

hahahaha why you apologizing girl??? I love me some Lily's eyes.

Taylor said...

"She has Lily's hazel......(forgets next line)...Arrrghhhhh!!!"

Taylor said...

"I speak bulgarian 'wink'," as Taylor puts his left index finger under his left eye.

shauna said...

All of you addict people should know that the drug doesn't have an "e" on the end. And I laughed and laughed at the Doug Bean forgetting the words, Taylor. Good remembering. So were you A. Nony muss, Taylor?

ashleyO said...

dang and i deleted that!!!! shoot I liked that! oh well! mom freaked so I took care of things! and don't get me started on spelling muzzah! lol

yeah Doug had the best line forgetting reaction!!! ArrrrgaaAHAHHH!!!! *hits desk with fists as pen cap goes flying onto the stage*

Taylor said...

No I am Ed Cetera (pronounced like Peter Cetera).

ashleyO said...

hahahaha Yay for "Where...Carmen Sandiego" computer game on the infamous Tandy! hahaha mom is crazy....Ed Cetera...more like Ed Cetera! if you know what i mean...